HACCP eNews JAN14 –

Happy New Year to everyone.


Brisbane – One dead, 200 ill after salmonella outbreak linked to Melbourne Cup functions

– 77-year-old Judy Anderson, died after contracting the bacteria at a Cup event.

– Metro North Public Health Unit director Dr Susan Vlack said the salmonella infection did not cause Ms Anderson’s death but “may have contributed”.

– 8 hospitalised, up to 700 people who attended 40 Cup functions where the food was served could be affected

– 11 staff from the Department of Premier and Cabinet fell ill as a result of the outbreak after attending an onsite function catered by the company involved.

– Piccalilli Catering, based at St Lucia, catered but has blamed a Brisbane-based supplier of a bad batch of eggs that were used to make mayonnaise.

– Piccalilli Catering last night said it could take its own legal action.


Sydney kebabs hospitalise four people

– 4 hospitalised with Shiga-toxin producing E. coli (STEC) in the Sutherland area on Thursday.

– Eaten food from Kenny’s Kebabs at Westfield Miranda between January 4 and 8.

– NSW Food Authority audit found a number of concerns associated with food handling and preparation.

– Business has been stopped from trading


2 (and many more) sick; Salmonella scare closes Melbourne Vietnamese eatery

– The Hao Phong restaurant in Footscray was closed by authorities on Tuesday after two diners were taken to hospital for salmonella

– Council hoped to re-open the restaurant “within a few days”.

– Cr Miles said the council had not publicised the closure because there was no proof the restaurant was at fault.

– Justin Smith: “So why shut it down?”  Cr Miles: “It’s better to err on the side of caution.”


Maggot infestation at Melbourne’s Sushi Sushi (my friend Kerry calls maggots the other white meat)

– Sushi Sushi at Maribyrnong’s Highpoint shopping centre apparently served a Melbourne student a crispy chicken roll infested with maggots.

– “I looked and saw two things wiggling around,” recounted Chloe McSaveney. “I spat out what I had in my mouth.”

– She claims that when she confronted store workers they simply threw the roll in the bin and offered a refund for her meal.

– “The mental side of things is still affecting me now,” she told The Age. …

– In March of this year, the owner of Sushi Sushi’s Glenferrie store was fined $18,000 for nine food hygiene offences. The charges included a failure to take all practical measures to keep pests from the eatery’s premises..


Northern Sydney bakery investigated after outbreak of salmonella poisoning

– pork rolls from a northern suburbs bakery.

– symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, headaches and fever.


1400 fall sick: Japan pesticide in frozen food

– 1400 across Japan have fallen ill after eating frozen food products contaminated with pesticide.

– Vomiting, diarrhea and other symptoms of food poisoning after eating food produced at a plant in Gunma, north of Tokyo.

– Taint with malathion, an agricultural chemical used to kill aphid in corn and rice fields (and head lice)

– Japanese police investigate as deliberate tampering has not been excluded.


33 Sick, 2 with HUS – US shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections linked to ready-to-eat salads

33 persons infected with the outbreak strain of STEC O157:H7 were reported from four states.

32% of ill persons were hospitalized. Two ill persons developed hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), and no deaths were reported.

The STEC O157:H7 PFGE pattern combination in this outbreak was new to the PulseNet database.

2 ready-to-eat salads, Field Fresh Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken and Mexicali Salad with Chili Lime Chicken, likely source.

On November 10, 2013, Glass Onion Catering voluntarily recalled numerous ready-to-eat salads and sandwich wrap products that may be contaminated with STEC O157:H7.


Over 800 sick with Hepatitis A; frozen berries

Italian reporter update – the epidemic, although slow, has not yet been stopped.

Unknown origin (ikely crops irrigated with water contaminated with sewage in Eastern Europe, but do not exclude other possibilities).

At present, the clues on the origin of raw materials lead to Poland.

It was evident that the frozen berries can remain in the freezer for months or years, which are often consumed without cooking and are used without heat treatment capable of killing viruses (boiling), even for ice cream cakes, ice cream and for many other typical products of consumption in summer…

From http://barfblog.com/categories/hepatitis-a/


Australia smallgoods maker Conroy’s breached food standards eight times in three months, court told

Conroy’s faces a maximum $200,000 fine over allegations they breached the South Australia food safety code eight times in three months.

Conroy’s has yet to enter pleas to 8counts of breaching a condition of accreditation under Primary Produce (Food Safety Schemes) Act (2004).

In December 2005, Conroys goods were taken off store shelves due to a listeria outbreak.

Royal Adelaide Hospital patient Richard Formosa died as a result of eating infected Conroy’s products – seven years later, his family received $200,000 compensation.

Listeria was detected at Conroy’s again in August 2006.

Raw and cooked meat produced in same room. $8000 for that offence

In June this year, the company was fined $8000 after pleading guilty to four breaches of hygiene standards.


Meat pumped with pond water in south China

– China has held 7people in southern Guangdong province for injecting dirty pond water into lamb meat to swell its weight and raise its price

– Slaughtered up to 100 sheep per day at an illegal warehouse, pumping bacteria-ridden water into the meat before it was sold

– Authorities’ raid found 30 carcasses injected with water, 335 live sheep, forged inspection stamps, and equipment to inject water.

– Each sheep was pumped with up to six kilograms of water just after being slaughtered, to add extra weight.



FSANZ Consumer Level Recalls

14OCT2013 – 19JAN2014

Ashgrove and Emporium Cheese, Listeria monocytogenes

Sesame Paste, Tek Shing Trading, peanut

Sakata Paws Original 6 Pack Multipack, Sakata Rice Snacks Australia Pty Ltd, milk

Old El Paso Hot chunky Tomato Salsa, General Mills Australia Pty Ltd, glass

Vodka Cruiser Sugar Free Pomegranate and Guava, Asahi Premium Beverages Pty Ltd, labelling

Thai Style Chicken Breast Kebabs, Inghams Enterprises, soy and sulphates

Coles Corned Beef Silverside, Coles Supermarkets Pty Ltd, sulphites

Deli Originals Mediterranean Style Spinach Dip, Yumis Quality Foods, Listeria monocytogenes

Coles SmartBuy White Sandwich bread, Coles Supermarkets Ltd, Foreign Matter

Dare Cold Pressed Iced Coffee, Lion Pty Ltd, packaging fault

Tramin Pinot Grigio, Liqourland (Australia) Pty Ltd, sulphites

Haldiram’s Nagpur Indian Snacks ‘Tasty Nuts’ spiced coated fried peanuts, Indya Foods Pty Ltd , Aflatoxin

Brannans Butchery Thai Style Chicken Breast Kebabs, Inghams Enterprises Pty Limited, Undeclared allergen

Macro Organic Baby Food Puree, Woolworths Ltd, Packaging fault

From www.foodstandards.gov.au

New Salmonella arrivals in Australia

Seven serovars new to the NEPSS non-human data were reported in 2012.

  1. Banana was reported from soybean meal imported from Argentina,
  2. Caracas from dried mint imported from Turkey,
  3. Fortune from a seasoning blend imported from India,
  4. Fresno from imported soybean meal (origin not known)
  5. Oritamerin from ground nutmeg imported from India,
  6. Ouagadougou and S. Wimborne both from tahina (sesame paste) imported from Turkey.

From:  National Enteric Pathogens Surveillance Scheme (NEPSS) Non-Human Annual Report 2012

Editor Joan Powling, Director Geoff Hogg (MDU PHL).