1 DEAD – NSW: Profiteroles blamed for hospital listeria outbreak
Apr 21, 2013
* Profiterole Listeria outbreak / central & southwest public hospitals in Sydney.
* 1 dead / 2 sick
* Profiteroles made by Rich Products Australia have since been withdrawn.
* Investigation ongoing
Tasmanian Oyster Norovirus outbreak – 240 sick
* 240 Norovirus cases across Tasmania /Victoria / NSW
* Broken sewerage pipe on a private property in Dunalley leaked human waste into waters used by an oyster farm.
Outbreak of listeriosis due to imported cooked ham, Switzerland 2011
02.may.13 from Doug Powell
– 9 cases of Listeriosis & same strain detected in cooked ham
– Levels of L.mono on ham 470 and 4,800 cfu/g
– Outbreak initiated a product recall
– Ham was not contaminated in the production plant, but in slicing and packing plant
Complete report at http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=20469
US Outbreak – Salmonella Saintpaul infections & imported cucumbers
– 73 ill / 14 hospitalised with Salmonella Saintpaul across 18 USA states from Mexican greenhouse cucumbers.
– Preliminary information links imported cucumbers
– US FDA placed Daniel Cardenas Izabal and Miracle Greenhouse of Culiacán, Mexico on Import Alert .
– Currently, no evidence that contaminated cucumbers supplied by Daniel Cardenas Izabal and Miracle Greenhouse are still on the market.
– Ill persons range in age from less than 1 year to 80 years, with a median age of 23 years. 60% of ill persons are female.
Tomatoes to be zapped with radiation to destroy insects after new food standards declared
Karen Collier From: Herald Sun April 17, 2013
* FSANZ approves irradiation for fresh tomatoes and capsicums.
* Irradiated food must be labelled and notices placed at sales areas or on menus.
* Qld’s DAFF wants the option of an alternative fruit fly control after restrictions were imposed on dimethoate and fenthion, two common chemical insecticides.
* Ministers responsible for food regulation have until mid-May to decide on a formal approval.
* While herbs, spices, some herbal teas, some tropical fruits and persimmons are already allowed to be irradiated, the bulk has been exported rather than eaten in Australia.
Gold Coast Grocer fined $10k for South Korean meats
– A Southport grocery shop fined $10,000 for buying up to 200kg of illegally imported South Korean meats.
– Hyun Woo Trading Pty Ltd and owner Dong Hee Lee pleaded guilty to possessing contraband sausages, dumplings, hot dogs and hams in 2011.
– Lee sentenced to a 9-month suspended sentence with a two-year good behaviour bond.
– Company fined $10,000. Businesses can be fined up to $66,000. The maximum penalty for individuals is two years jail.
FSANZ Consumer Level Recalls
- Liberty Lamingtons – Undeclared Allergen (gluten)
- Alligator Brand Veal Ravioli – Undeclared Allergen (Soy)
- Macro Vegetarian Bites – Foreign Matter (Metal)
- Alexandrina Cheese Company – (microbial – E.coli)
- Chicken and Veal Wurst – Microbial (Listeria monocytogenes)
- Shaw River Buffalo Yoghurt – microbial contamination (E. coli)
DAFF Failing Imported Food Report
About half of the 36 failed foods (from 1715 inspected) are the usual micro suspects – Salmonella, L.mono, E.coli.
Listeria failures on duck liver and cheeses, Salmonella failures on red chilli and chilli powder. E.coli failures on cheeses and clam/mussel meat
Full list available from the website